Skip to main content

Putting the "Social" Back Into Social Media (Part 1)



We’ve all been there. Whether it’s yet another meme with bad grammar (learn “your” vs. “you’re,” people), misinformation sharing (check your sources) or just someone who is forcefully preaching an opinion we just can’t get behind, social media can drive to post things we regret. Some platforms are worse than others (hence the flight from some folks from Facebook and Twitter to the safety of Instagram), but the potential for mischief is always there.

At times, it seems like our online interactions have reverted to become “anti-social” media.  I’m here today to advocate a better approach….for health, sanity, and professional well-being. 

Let’s put the size of this problem into scope.  Just how BIG is social media in the first place?

According to the Pew Research Institute, 70% of all adults in the U.S. use some kind of social media.  The number gets bigger when you consider just 30-49 year old group (82%) and really pervasive with the 18-29 crowd (90%) (https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/fact-sheet/social-media/).

The top social networks have a TON of users!  By the numbers:

1. Facebook: 2.45 billion users

2. Instagram: 1 billion users

3. Twitter: 330 million users

4. LinkedIn: 310 million users

5. Reddit: 430 million users

(https://www.searchenginejournal.com/social-media/biggest-social-media-sites/#close)

That’s a lot of people spending time posting pictures of their dinners, cat videos, and, oh yes, starting fights about everything from politics to conspiracy theories.  We all know that the bad stuff can get under our skin, but there are lots of reasons to start actively managing our online presence.

The big one?  That potential employer is probably looking at your Facebook page (and everything else you have online).   According to Business News Daily, companies seeking applicants are most likely to hit up your Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages (https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2377-social-media-hiring.html).  Let’s take on some of the misconceptions about how we are managing our online profiles:

“My profile is private; I can post whatever I want.”

Not so fast; there are a TON of ways to access private social media accounts.  Many are based in offshore ad networks that find ways around privacy settings.  Yes, it’s pretty easy for someone without hacking skills to find your account.

“It’s free speech; an employer can’t use my personal opinions against me.”

There’s been a LOT of debate on whether or not social media postings do, in fact, constitute free speech.  In several cases, employees who were fired for discussing inadequate pay and unsafe working conditions were fired but then forced to be reinstated as they were discussing “matters of public interest.”  That being said, an employer who doesn’t like what they find on your page can usually come up with another way not to hire you.  Legally?  It’s a grey area.  Ethically?  Try proving the potential employer wrong.

“But I deleted it.”

Nothing ever really disappears on the net.  Don’t believe me?  Check out the Wayback Machine, a site that’s been archiving snapshots of the net since the 90’s (I found some really old pics of myself….I don’t miss the haircut, but I do miss the waistline).  

Even long extinct websites live on in perpetuity in this catalog of cyberspace: https://archive.org/web/

So, what’s a person to do?  Like you, I’ve said some things online that I wish I could take back.  In the meantime, consider these steps.

1. Clean up your profiles: Yes, there might be archives out there, but do what you can to limit the pictures and posts that might present you in a non-professional light.

2. Search for orphan pages: You may have an old social media page from “a long time ago on an internet far, far away” from a time when you were, let’s say, more free in your postings.  Hunt these dinosaurs down and kill them.

3. Manage your privacy settings: You can control who becomes your friend or follower.  Allowing for automatic approval is asking for bad content to end up on your page.  At the same time, consider managing who is able to “tag” you in posts or photos.

4. Set up a Google alert.  Google will, upon your request, alert you any time new content with your name emerges on any page they index.  It’s free and helpful.

5. Bury the bad with the good.  Generally speaking, the more internet users view content, the more likely it is to show up on a search.  Make it a goal to create content regularly that showcases your talent and skills.  You might not be able to delete every picture of you doing 3 a.m. beer pong in college, but you CAN get more good info out there about yourself.

In the next posting, we’ll hit up some of the more psychological aspects of making social networks more social (i.e. the best ways to avoid getting into a flame war and some paths out if you do).  Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Different Kind of Christmas Story

Everyone is familiar with the themes behind 1983’s “A Christmas Story.” Ralphie desperately longs for the toy of the year, in this case, a bb gun. Mom and dad are hesitant. Their concern for his safety and the hanging threat of “you’ll shoot your eye out” mask the bigger looming fear, namely the beginning of their son’s transition to adulthood. Eventually, the parents relent, providing one of the keys which help Ralphie open the door to making his own decisions (good and bad), experiencing both joy and success and heartbreak and pain, and coming into his fully-formed self.                (Photo credit Hollywood Reporter) The movie’s turning point, where Ralphie receives “ol Blue” as surprise final gift, actually played out in my own life. It was 1987; my friends and I had all hatched an idea in study hall to form a band. Scott played drums. Bob was practicing the hell out of an old acoustic guitar and Dan already had an electric to play lead. Jason could sing AND play keyboards.  All w

Keep saying “hi”; a case for saving human interaction across generations

  A few weeks back, my brother and I were shopping at an area Target. When I came out of an aisle, I almost collided with a trio of college-age people. “Woah, I’m sorry,” I said, realizing I should have looked before moving into the foot traffic. None of the young folks responded to me. I said “I’m sorry about that” as they continued to walk past, not one of them acknowledging the attempt at normal social interaction. I couldn’t decide if I was more irritated or offended. Like the rest of you, I’ve experienced similar interactions at stores, restaurants, and while walking my dog Willis at the local college campus. Attempts at polite social norms (i.e., saying “excuse me,” when walking past someone, thanking someone for holding a door, etc.) are often met with eye contact and no vocal response. While such instances are usually people far younger than me, I’ve noticed more of this behavior in older folks as well. I think this approach to communication (namely choosing NOT to vocall

Fleeting Light: Thoughts about "50" on the shortest day of the year

  I’ve been told that it’s common during one’s fiftieth year to do a recounting of the life you’ve lived so far. While the big 5-0 is past the halfway point for most of us, it’s a place to check momentum. How has the trip gone? Which turns have been the right ones (or wrong ones)? Is there enough gas in the tank to make it the rest of the way to the “final destination”…and in a way of our choosing? Momentum, at this point, seems to take the place of fuel. If anything, the challenge is to gear down to keep the car from flying down the hill. While not everything our elders told us is gospel, the old folks who say that life starts moving faster at the half-century mark have it right in my book.  Despite the pressures of time, much of this year has been a chance to stand on top of the hill (the one I’ve been told I’m on my way over) and look around. It’s been less about innovation and change than inventory; directly, what’s been done and what’s left to do? 50 is a rare sweet spot in life;