Skip to main content

I Believe in the Dark Knight: A Celebration of Batman Day 2020

Did you know that today is Batman Day 2020?  Yes, in an era where there's a holiday for everything, Batman got his some time ago....and thank goodness!

Some people have strong religious convictions.  Others believe in government...or the lack thereof.  Our friends might find meaning in nature, mathematics, or the physical makeup of the known (and unknown universe). 

We all have our beliefs.  Mine is Batman. 

I truly believe in the Dark Knight. 

This simple statement is no surprise to those who know me even a little bit.  My offices at home and work are virtual shrines to the man behind the cape and cowl, with armies of action figures that would make any 8-year-old comic nerd's heart skip a beat.  There are signed drawings, paintings from students (some of my most prized possessions), photos, and tons of memorabilia, both things I have purchased and many other thoughtful gifts.  Once people find out you're "into" something, they tend to enable your habit (and expand you collection for you).  Although I keep the majority of my comics and graphic novels at home, a few seminal volumes reside on my work office shelves...the "big" reads like Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, and The Dark Knight Returns, for example.  These volumes are always there for me to share with a student or colleague, in the hopes of winning more recruits to my religion....and they also serve as texts for the Batman class I teach (yes, being a college professor is the most awesome job in the world...don't let anyone fool you). 

All of these things are illustrations of the much bigger concept...and associated questions.  I'll even help you put it into words: "So what's with this Batman thing?  Aren't you a middle-aged college professor....like a doctoral candidate?  Isn't this kid stuff?"

It absolutely is...and is NOT kid stuff.  Please allow me to explain....

The origin story of Batman is so primal and universal that it's almost born into us.  Like any good folklore, it's grown and changed from its two page (yes, really) original format to encompass a more mythic presentation.  Young Bruce Wayne is born into privilege and wealth.  He wants for nothing, a huge differentiation for a character created in the midst of FDR's New Deal within a country between the Great Depression and WWII.  In the blink of an eye, Bruce's parents are mercilessly gunned down in front of him.  The most meaningful parts of his life have evaporated in front of him, and Bruce is left with nothing but a vast fortune and an empty life: 

This point is where things get truly existential.  Research has shown that the loss of even one parent is the greatest doomsday situation a child can face (Langley, 2012).  To most children, parents are caregivers, moral guides, and the gateway to making sense of the world.  In the absence of these figures, Bruce could have retreated to his wealth, mansion, and butler to spend his days numbing his pain with mindless excess.  His feelings of guilt (i.e. being somehow responsible for the death of mom and dad) could have led him to a life of substance abuse and self-harm.  

Instead, he becomes Batman.  

Bruce makes the decision to dedicate his life and all of his resources to make a difference.  His singular purpose: To spare others from the pain he has endured.  Like Sisyphus rolling a bolder up a hill, only to watch it come back down again, he knows his one-man mission has no chance at comprehensive success, but chooses to proceed anyway. 

As Batman, Bruce is the embodiment of will, determination, and optimism.  Despite his dark persona, his willingness to go out night after night, prowling the streets of Gotham, means that he truly believes that one person can make a difference.  He has chosen to become an example of hope, using his pain as fuel for the fire, turning fear on those who would pray upon others:

This character study is almost enough of a reason for an middle-aged man to be so obsessed (and to have so many action figures).  Rest assured I'm not alone here; take a walk through any parking lot in America, and you'll find at least a half-dozen "yellow oval" stickers on cars.  Batman logo shirts are common in the gyms, especially with the power lifting crowd, and just about every group of friends will have that guy or girl who always wears a black t-shirt with "the bat" on it:



All of these points are why Batman, a character born in 1939, seems to have perpetual life and to find a new audience in each following generation.  To me, however, it gets more personal.  It all started off normal enough; as a 4-year old kid watching reruns of the old Adam West series, I thought Batman was the coolest thing ever.  A guy in a (what I thought at the time) was a neat costume with a bad-ass car beating up the bad guys in the name of justice.  My first recollections of drawing were bad sketches of the Dark Knight and I must have worn out at least 3 different Batman Mego figures while reading over-sized reprints of the classic Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil stories.  My mom was wonderful at indulging my love of the character...and I think she was happy I was at least trying to read!

In 1988, my mom, my sole living parent, died suddenly of a massive heart attack.  At 15, my brother and I were left to the care of my grandmother.  Despite the wonderful job my grandma did in raising us, it's tough to describe what it's like to be a middle teen with no mom or dad; you no longer fit in the system.  You don't have the same place with parent-centered activities.  Well-intended teachers, doctors, and guidance counselors often avoid talking with you because either they lack training or simply have no idea what to say.  To paraphrase an anonymous friend (who shares a love of Batman): All of the key parts of the system abandoned me; Batman never did. 

My interest swung from Batman to Bruce; despite my lack of endless wealth, if he could be strong enough to build a life for himself, so could I.  Through high-school and college, and into my working years, any time I felt I had nothing left to give, I would think of Bruce's struggles to forge meaning into his existence, to make the world bend to his will.  He became my totem, though I often would think of him as Batman, beaten, broken, but still trying to stand: 

Though I am more open with these feelings than others, my lifeline to Batman is not unique.  You probably work with a person who draws inspiration from the many excellent comics, movies, and even video games featuring the guy with pointy ears and a cape.  Last year, I had the good fortune to welcome Michael Uslan as an Executive in Residence at Saint Francis University (where I teach).  In addition to being a kind and generous human being, Dr. Uslan is the man who brought Batman to the big screen in 1989 as executive producer and originator of the Batman film franchise.  He detailed his 10 year struggle in the most excellent book "The Boy Who Loved Batman."  Even as a distinguished film producer, lawyer, and teacher, Dr. Uslan still describes himself as a "fan."  His mission to have Batman taken seriously on the big screen and genuine love for the character was inspiring; the Godfather of the superhero blockbuster didn't do all this work for money and fame.  He did it because the meaning of the Dark Knight spoke to his soul. 

One of the most meaningful parts of my life has been working with bereaved kids as a volunteer mentor and raising funds to support the Healing Patch, a center for grieving children and their families.  When I do this work, Bruce/Batman are never far from my mind.  I don't have a cave full of gadgets or a Batmobile, but I do carry the hope that things can be different for these kids than they were for my brother and me.  I don't want the struggles of kids who have lost a loved one to be forgotten any more than Batman wants the innocents in the darkest parts of Gotham to be victims of crime.  As a former grieving kid, Batman will always be my patron saint, an example that we can dig deep and find strength....and maybe even find some meaning along the way. 

So, yes....I very much believe in Batman. 

Happy Batman Day, my friends.  Do something super-heroic today. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Different Kind of Christmas Story

Everyone is familiar with the themes behind 1983’s “A Christmas Story.” Ralphie desperately longs for the toy of the year, in this case, a bb gun. Mom and dad are hesitant. Their concern for his safety and the hanging threat of “you’ll shoot your eye out” mask the bigger looming fear, namely the beginning of their son’s transition to adulthood. Eventually, the parents relent, providing one of the keys which help Ralphie open the door to making his own decisions (good and bad), experiencing both joy and success and heartbreak and pain, and coming into his fully-formed self.                (Photo credit Hollywood Reporter) The movie’s turning point, where Ralphie receives “ol Blue” as surprise final gift, actually played out in my own life. It was 1987; my friends and I had all hatched an idea in study hall to form a band. Scott played drums. Bob was practicing the hell out of an old acoustic guitar and Dan already had an electric to play lead. Jason could sing AND play keyboards.  All w

Keep saying “hi”; a case for saving human interaction across generations

  A few weeks back, my brother and I were shopping at an area Target. When I came out of an aisle, I almost collided with a trio of college-age people. “Woah, I’m sorry,” I said, realizing I should have looked before moving into the foot traffic. None of the young folks responded to me. I said “I’m sorry about that” as they continued to walk past, not one of them acknowledging the attempt at normal social interaction. I couldn’t decide if I was more irritated or offended. Like the rest of you, I’ve experienced similar interactions at stores, restaurants, and while walking my dog Willis at the local college campus. Attempts at polite social norms (i.e., saying “excuse me,” when walking past someone, thanking someone for holding a door, etc.) are often met with eye contact and no vocal response. While such instances are usually people far younger than me, I’ve noticed more of this behavior in older folks as well. I think this approach to communication (namely choosing NOT to vocall

Fleeting Light: Thoughts about "50" on the shortest day of the year

  I’ve been told that it’s common during one’s fiftieth year to do a recounting of the life you’ve lived so far. While the big 5-0 is past the halfway point for most of us, it’s a place to check momentum. How has the trip gone? Which turns have been the right ones (or wrong ones)? Is there enough gas in the tank to make it the rest of the way to the “final destination”…and in a way of our choosing? Momentum, at this point, seems to take the place of fuel. If anything, the challenge is to gear down to keep the car from flying down the hill. While not everything our elders told us is gospel, the old folks who say that life starts moving faster at the half-century mark have it right in my book.  Despite the pressures of time, much of this year has been a chance to stand on top of the hill (the one I’ve been told I’m on my way over) and look around. It’s been less about innovation and change than inventory; directly, what’s been done and what’s left to do? 50 is a rare sweet spot in life;