Skip to main content

Maybe We Need Some Distraction From Our Distractions

Late summer/early autumn seldom gets more beautiful than today; 85 degrees, low humidity, and blue skies greeted me as I arrived home a little earlier than usual for a Tuesday.  My Jack Russel Willis and I took advantage of the conditions for a fantastic hike at Canoe Creek, one of the plethora of PA state parks near us. 

For the record, here's a picture of my furry friend.  Saying "awww" is an entirely appropriate response, as he is really cute: 



As we were on our way to the last leg of the trail, it seemed like a chorus of work commitments began singing to me.  All of the upcoming meetings and lessons, as well as the papers un-graded and dissertation sections not-yet-written, seemed to be chastising me.

"This walk in the woods is distracting me from what I really should be getting done," I thought for a moment. 

Then I looked down at my little dog's earnest brown eyes and knew I had it backwards. 

"All of those things I need to do are distracting me from THIS moment," I realized. 

There will always be another paper to grade, another report due, and another meeting to prep for.  It's far less likely, however, that a perfect sunny fall afternoon with your best four-legged friend will volunteer itself to you.  Despite the importance of all the grown-up things we do, shouldn't this effort buy us an occasional escape?  Conversely, don't these sojourns give us the mental recharges we need to operate at our best. 

I took a deep breath and committed to the afternoon, making my time on the trail my priority and giving my attention to my canine companion.  The e-mails would still be there when once I returned from the woods, and none of those meetings were running up against my hiking schedule.  

In reality, these moments away from our routine make us better once we return.  Some isolation from "the grind" recharges us, provides time for contemplation, and returns us to our communications stream with new ideas and enthusiasm.  By some perspectives, we owe it to our coworkers to disconnect and put our personal batteries up to full capacity. 

As Willis and I finished our sojourn through the land of white tail deer (and a black snake or two), I felt like the blood had truly returned to all of my extremities.  I got back in my car, knowing that I would have better answers for my students and colleagues based on the time I had taken for myself to walk, ponder, and breathe with my canine buddy. 

Nobody will give you the time; you must take it for yourself.  Rest assured, your friends and colleagues will appreciate the extra energy you're able to give them in return. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Different Kind of Christmas Story

Everyone is familiar with the themes behind 1983’s “A Christmas Story.” Ralphie desperately longs for the toy of the year, in this case, a bb gun. Mom and dad are hesitant. Their concern for his safety and the hanging threat of “you’ll shoot your eye out” mask the bigger looming fear, namely the beginning of their son’s transition to adulthood. Eventually, the parents relent, providing one of the keys which help Ralphie open the door to making his own decisions (good and bad), experiencing both joy and success and heartbreak and pain, and coming into his fully-formed self.                (Photo credit Hollywood Reporter) The movie’s turning point, where Ralphie receives “ol Blue” as surprise final gift, actually played out in my own life. It was 1987; my friends and I had all hatched an idea in study hall to form a band. Scott played drums. Bob was practicing the hell out of an old acoustic guitar and Dan already had an electric to play lead. Jason could sing AND play keyboards.  All w

Keep saying “hi”; a case for saving human interaction across generations

  A few weeks back, my brother and I were shopping at an area Target. When I came out of an aisle, I almost collided with a trio of college-age people. “Woah, I’m sorry,” I said, realizing I should have looked before moving into the foot traffic. None of the young folks responded to me. I said “I’m sorry about that” as they continued to walk past, not one of them acknowledging the attempt at normal social interaction. I couldn’t decide if I was more irritated or offended. Like the rest of you, I’ve experienced similar interactions at stores, restaurants, and while walking my dog Willis at the local college campus. Attempts at polite social norms (i.e., saying “excuse me,” when walking past someone, thanking someone for holding a door, etc.) are often met with eye contact and no vocal response. While such instances are usually people far younger than me, I’ve noticed more of this behavior in older folks as well. I think this approach to communication (namely choosing NOT to vocall

Fleeting Light: Thoughts about "50" on the shortest day of the year

  I’ve been told that it’s common during one’s fiftieth year to do a recounting of the life you’ve lived so far. While the big 5-0 is past the halfway point for most of us, it’s a place to check momentum. How has the trip gone? Which turns have been the right ones (or wrong ones)? Is there enough gas in the tank to make it the rest of the way to the “final destination”…and in a way of our choosing? Momentum, at this point, seems to take the place of fuel. If anything, the challenge is to gear down to keep the car from flying down the hill. While not everything our elders told us is gospel, the old folks who say that life starts moving faster at the half-century mark have it right in my book.  Despite the pressures of time, much of this year has been a chance to stand on top of the hill (the one I’ve been told I’m on my way over) and look around. It’s been less about innovation and change than inventory; directly, what’s been done and what’s left to do? 50 is a rare sweet spot in life;