Skip to main content

Finding the Future…By Putting our Heads BACK in the Clouds

 “Feeling honest as a promise

Troubled times have come upon us

At the core of the cosmos

We are so much more than particles

Sonic to the subatomic

You are a whisper and a scream

You are, we are

All part of this everything”

--Eddie Vedder, Invincible

This past week, I turned 49; it’s an interesting age to be. While being reminded that the milestone of “50” is just a year off, you also realize that in all likelihood there is more life left behind than ahead. Such an epiphany is not necessarily morose; instead, it’s a cause for reflection, a time to realize how many waves of reality have washed over you.  When spoken aloud, recollections of change within your own near-half-century can be staggering…especially when you’re a GenXer who grew up during the height of the space age!

My earliest memories all circled around spaceships, aliens, and the big bad universe! I vividly recall my brother and I playing with science fiction toys as young geeks in the 1970s.  The plastic fantasy “handheld communication” devices were the stuff of Star Trek; I would certainly never be able to conduct two-way video calls from a “walkie talkie” in MY lifetime! Global wireless communications from devices that could fit in your pocket?  Madness! I realize the irony of such thoughts as I type this draft on a laptop computer, a document I’ll likely review on my iPhone later…if I don’t get interrupted by a Zoom or Facetime call!  

The amount of change was dramatically made clear to me a few weeks ago when my wife and I visited the Kennedy Space Center in Florida for the first time. Walking the grounds and being near the artifacts of the U.S. space program, you could see what Neal Peart described as “the bright stuff of dreams.” Around every corner was another icon of ingenuity and dedication to a purpose. Booster rockets that carried the first astronauts into orbit. Capsules that propelled humans around the globe, small enough to require the occupants to assume a near fetal position but sturdy enough to survive re-entry. These achievements pre-dated modern computers and manufacturing techniques.  Truly, these explorers had ridden to the heavens on the sweat and toil of countless engineers, scientists, laborers, and leaders. 

It’s tough for me to describe the feeling of seeing the space shuttle Atlantis up close; following a dramatic presentation in a central hall, a black curtain lifted to reveal the ship, hanging in air at an angle, as if coming in to land. Suddenly, I was no longer a middle-aged man; I was an 8-year old kid waking up early in 1981 to watch the world’s first re-usable spacecraft take to the stars. The sense of awe and wonder returned to me like a headrush; seeing this icon of the past century reappear was like adrenaline made of pure nostalgia.

Not long after, I wandered the “hall of heroes” for those who had died in during shuttle missions, and I was 12 years old again, feeling the pit of my stomach drop when the news of the Challenger explosions hit.  Within this quiet place, alongside the portraits of the departed, are framed mementos from their personal lives. Religious paraphernalia.  Running trophies. Community awards. Reminders of the holes that their deaths left in the lives of those who loved them and knew them best. Perhaps the most stirring moment was turning a corner to see to pieces of recovered wreckage from both fatal shuttle missions: The front window assembly of the Columbia and an American-flag covered tile assembly from the Challenger. 

The Columbia’s front porthole hangs against a black backdrop, perpetually allowing visitors to stare into an abyss, a future willingly given up by a crew who knew the risks but chose to go forth. The Challenger’s flag is distressed and ragged, a tattered ideal that somehow seems ironic in the aftermath of the ship’s demise and the accelerating cynicism of the nearly 40 years that have passed since she, and her crew, died in front of us. 

After drying my tears and catching a breath, I took a final glance up at the Atlantis, perpetually frozen in air, seemingly suspended in an older, more idyllic time. The common threads of all of the artifacts in this museum were so clear to see. These things…these accomplishments that shaped the very world we live in…were the result of vision and shared purposes. The seismic shifts in what could be possible came through sacrifice and hard work, dedication to a common cause that was bigger and more important than the minor differences between people. I have no doubt that there were arguments and disagreements, but in the end, there was consensus based on the realization that reaching for the stars was not something that could be accomplished without everyone being on board. 

As a teacher, I get discouraged when I see students (and young people in general) becoming so addicted to their phones. The same spirit of innovation that literally “put a man on the moon,” is more often being used to distract or entertain us, gnawing away our attention spans and intellectual focus five wasted minutes at a time. In a recent poll of my class (using Apple’s own usage tracker), most students were doing 4-5 hours of screen time a day, with some going as high as 12-13. The most common activities were social networks; it seems our technology has changed course from exploring outer space to going deeper towards “inner space” and the online echo chambers which seem to further divide us every day. 

As we watch our elected officials posture and angle for more air time and social media followers, I wonder what would happen if congress would take a field trip.  Take everyone’s mobile devices and force them to walk the halls of the Kennedy Space Center. Most of the house and senate membership are old enough to remember what it was like to get up early to watch a shuttle launch; perhaps it would be helpful to remind them of what we accomplished when people looked beyond political parties and social media followers and instead sought ideals in the stars. 

Pair each of these politicians up with a child who was born in the 11 years since the last shuttle mission concluded. Have these kids experience the idyllic American spirit that they have been deprived of alongside a person who needs to remember what it actually felt like to live in a country that promoted cooperation and ideals. As a middle-aged man who teaches 18-22-year olds, I can guarantee that experiencing your own past through the perceptions of someone less than half your age will bring it back to life in front of you. It is time to remember before we completely forget. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Different Kind of Christmas Story

Everyone is familiar with the themes behind 1983’s “A Christmas Story.” Ralphie desperately longs for the toy of the year, in this case, a bb gun. Mom and dad are hesitant. Their concern for his safety and the hanging threat of “you’ll shoot your eye out” mask the bigger looming fear, namely the beginning of their son’s transition to adulthood. Eventually, the parents relent, providing one of the keys which help Ralphie open the door to making his own decisions (good and bad), experiencing both joy and success and heartbreak and pain, and coming into his fully-formed self.                (Photo credit Hollywood Reporter) The movie’s turning point, where Ralphie receives “ol Blue” as surprise final gift, actually played out in my own life. It was 1987; my friends and I had all hatched an idea in study hall to form a band. Scott played drums. Bob was practicing the hell out of an old acoustic guitar and Dan already had an electric to play lead. Jason could sing AND play keyboards.  All w

Keep saying “hi”; a case for saving human interaction across generations

  A few weeks back, my brother and I were shopping at an area Target. When I came out of an aisle, I almost collided with a trio of college-age people. “Woah, I’m sorry,” I said, realizing I should have looked before moving into the foot traffic. None of the young folks responded to me. I said “I’m sorry about that” as they continued to walk past, not one of them acknowledging the attempt at normal social interaction. I couldn’t decide if I was more irritated or offended. Like the rest of you, I’ve experienced similar interactions at stores, restaurants, and while walking my dog Willis at the local college campus. Attempts at polite social norms (i.e., saying “excuse me,” when walking past someone, thanking someone for holding a door, etc.) are often met with eye contact and no vocal response. While such instances are usually people far younger than me, I’ve noticed more of this behavior in older folks as well. I think this approach to communication (namely choosing NOT to vocall

Fleeting Light: Thoughts about "50" on the shortest day of the year

  I’ve been told that it’s common during one’s fiftieth year to do a recounting of the life you’ve lived so far. While the big 5-0 is past the halfway point for most of us, it’s a place to check momentum. How has the trip gone? Which turns have been the right ones (or wrong ones)? Is there enough gas in the tank to make it the rest of the way to the “final destination”…and in a way of our choosing? Momentum, at this point, seems to take the place of fuel. If anything, the challenge is to gear down to keep the car from flying down the hill. While not everything our elders told us is gospel, the old folks who say that life starts moving faster at the half-century mark have it right in my book.  Despite the pressures of time, much of this year has been a chance to stand on top of the hill (the one I’ve been told I’m on my way over) and look around. It’s been less about innovation and change than inventory; directly, what’s been done and what’s left to do? 50 is a rare sweet spot in life;