Skip to main content

The Last Hike of Autumn: Behind the Big Sleep

 

This past week, my trusty companion Willis and I stole away to one our go-to regional hikes, Canoe Creek State Park. While not as isolated as my favorite woodland destinations, Canoe Creek is a beautiful and easy-to-reach patch of PA nature. With the first major storm on the horizon, I sensed it might be my last chance to get some late-fall, snow-free hiking.

I rediscovered my love of the outdoors back in 2020, during the early days of the COVID pandemic. Despite all the terrible and ongoing troubles brought on by this virus (medical, social, and political), COVID brought me back to a type of grounding I had totally forgotten about in my life, namely the value of unplugging. Since this rediscovery, Willis has been my constant companion for every sojourn I’ve taken into the beautiful woods of my home state.

There’s something particularly special about getting a final hike in before the snow falls, particularly if you’ve been visiting a trail year-round. From the birth and flowering of the spring, to the humidity and relaxed pace of middle summer, to the changing of the leaves in the fall, if you hike a specific area long enough, you learn its personality. Like people, forests go through moods that often echo our own.

As Willis and I made our way around the lakeside trail, the crunch of leaves was bolstered by frozen soil, the outer edges of a land making its way into a winter slumber. Around the shore, the lake was already starting to freeze, chasing away the kayakers while letting the ice-fishers know that they would still have to wait a while longer to drill. A few shots of sunlight broke through the empty branches, like the credits rolling on the last movie that would be playing in this theater for a while…and with nobody else on the trails, Willis and I had the last screening to ourselves. The vibe was simultaneously happy and sad; on one hand I felt grateful to be walking upon bare earth for a final time for the season while also watching fall begin to pass onto winter. The big sleep for so many creatures was upon us, and autumn was giving us a final glance as if to say “see you next year.”

From the late fall through the winter, being in the woods feels like walking in a shopping mall after hours; you are seeing a normally bustling place at its least active. In some ways, it feels like getting a glimpse into a world that few others see. To be there nearly at the point when the sun goes down and the lights go “out” for the year is truly special.

Since 2020, I have found myself longing for more periods of quiet contemplation (and frequently one-sided conversations….Willis is an amazing listener). The time on the trail has given me waking moments to process the complexities of the world around me without the competition of social media, text messages, or other screens. It is a peace that is difficult to explain to those who don’t wander into the woods now and again.

In many cultures, winter is a time to retreat into our homes and batten down the hatches against the onslaught of short days and cold nights in contemplation of the past year. As the snow falls, Willis and I will be bucking that trend in favor of returning to our favorite trails and seeing a side of reality that many never witness. We owe it to our beautiful parks to experience all of their seasonal personalities. Make no mistake, the winter contemplation will still take place, but through one-sided conversations between a man and his four-legged best friend in leisurely strides and breath steaming in the chilly air.

Until then, I will relish the memories of my “transition” hike and time well spent. I hope the spirit of the woods calls you back for a visit sometime soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Different Kind of Christmas Story

Everyone is familiar with the themes behind 1983’s “A Christmas Story.” Ralphie desperately longs for the toy of the year, in this case, a bb gun. Mom and dad are hesitant. Their concern for his safety and the hanging threat of “you’ll shoot your eye out” mask the bigger looming fear, namely the beginning of their son’s transition to adulthood. Eventually, the parents relent, providing one of the keys which help Ralphie open the door to making his own decisions (good and bad), experiencing both joy and success and heartbreak and pain, and coming into his fully-formed self.                (Photo credit Hollywood Reporter) The movie’s turning point, where Ralphie receives “ol Blue” as surprise final gift, actually played out in my own life. It was 1987; my friends and I had all hatched an idea in study hall to form a band. Scott played drums. Bob was practicing the hell out of an old acoustic guitar and Dan already had an electric to play lead. Jason could sing AND play keyboards.  All w

Keep saying “hi”; a case for saving human interaction across generations

  A few weeks back, my brother and I were shopping at an area Target. When I came out of an aisle, I almost collided with a trio of college-age people. “Woah, I’m sorry,” I said, realizing I should have looked before moving into the foot traffic. None of the young folks responded to me. I said “I’m sorry about that” as they continued to walk past, not one of them acknowledging the attempt at normal social interaction. I couldn’t decide if I was more irritated or offended. Like the rest of you, I’ve experienced similar interactions at stores, restaurants, and while walking my dog Willis at the local college campus. Attempts at polite social norms (i.e., saying “excuse me,” when walking past someone, thanking someone for holding a door, etc.) are often met with eye contact and no vocal response. While such instances are usually people far younger than me, I’ve noticed more of this behavior in older folks as well. I think this approach to communication (namely choosing NOT to vocall

Fleeting Light: Thoughts about "50" on the shortest day of the year

  I’ve been told that it’s common during one’s fiftieth year to do a recounting of the life you’ve lived so far. While the big 5-0 is past the halfway point for most of us, it’s a place to check momentum. How has the trip gone? Which turns have been the right ones (or wrong ones)? Is there enough gas in the tank to make it the rest of the way to the “final destination”…and in a way of our choosing? Momentum, at this point, seems to take the place of fuel. If anything, the challenge is to gear down to keep the car from flying down the hill. While not everything our elders told us is gospel, the old folks who say that life starts moving faster at the half-century mark have it right in my book.  Despite the pressures of time, much of this year has been a chance to stand on top of the hill (the one I’ve been told I’m on my way over) and look around. It’s been less about innovation and change than inventory; directly, what’s been done and what’s left to do? 50 is a rare sweet spot in life;