Skip to main content

The Final Countdown....to 50

 

Many of us find new ways to describe ourselves in our 40s. Some of us are people “of a certain age.” Others are “not as young as we used to be.” The brave among us are “middle aged,” though that title conjures up images of a long-ago time when the world was becoming more decrepit and falling apart…a logical analogy with the new creaks and groans that seem to multiply every morning when we get up. And then there’s the sign on the side of the road of life:

50.

Half a century on the planet. Officially eligibility for AARP and foster grandparent programs.

Yeah. 50.

It’s coming at me like a Gen-X-seeking missile in just a few weeks. The weirdest part isn’t that I’m GETTING older… it’s that I don’t FEEL older. Yes there are the grey hairs multiplying in my beard and the bedtimes that seem to be creeping earlier (as well as the urge to rise early….even on weekends), but I don’t see the world with angry eyes. I joke with my colleagues that we are all lucky to be teachers of the 18-22 crowd, as their youth and vitality seem to rub off on us a bit.


It's not so much the internal indicators (which for me, are largely silent) but the external stimuli which seem to hit the hardest. While we don’t see ourselves as having changed, as we live in our own skin suits and hardly notice the incremental differences year after year, the evolution of our friends’ lives hits us like a hammer. The person you haven’t seen in a year has gone greyer and their hairline has receded. A coworker has announced their retirement. College classmates are seeing their first kids graduate college themselves.

In a more tragic vein, those of us nearing 50 witness the deaths of people younger than ourselves. Be it accidents, disease, or life choices, not all of us make it this far. While the aches and pains are annoying, they are a minor price for the continued gift of being present, aware, and upright on the planet. As a volunteer for the Healing Patch, a grief support program for kids, I regularly work with people younger than me who are burying spouses, parents, and even children. Life as you approach the age equator most definitely takes on a new preciousness.

While the young students I mention give us energy by proxy, they also serve as reminders of how long we’ve been on a planet. This past week, a fantastic young lady wore a “Sublime” t-shirt to class. I asked her if she enjoyed the band’s music and she, indeed, knew their catalog. It occurred to me that Sublime’s last record came out in 1996, 27 years ago, at least 8 years before she was born. I decided to apply the math to my own youth. I was a college freshman in 1991; the equivalent for me would be listening to a band that was playing in 1964.

Holy S&*t; to a college freshman, a band from my college years is equivalent to what the Beatles was for me.

For context, I also just said that sentence out loud. It’s amazing how music can give us context for time (well, at least those of us who remember the pre-streaming era). My college freshmen are listening to the tunes that formed the foundation of my generation’s identity as “oldies.” For me, the world truly has changed.

I’ve been proud, overall, of how my generational cohort has refused to go down quietly. GenX bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, and Metallica are still playing loud, angry music. Most of my friends still care about what they wear and how they look; we’ve pushed back against wearing sweatpants and New Balance sneakers to dinner, though we HAVE adapted stretch Levi's for our waistlines and orthopedic inserts for our Chucks. Many of us are caring for children and parents while being in the peak of our careers. GenXers are good at social media (but need a break from it once and a while), are adept at using technology for productivity (better, even, than younger generations in this regard, even if we need our reading glasses for our iPhones), have a killer work ethic, and are adaptable. If cynicism is one of the hallmarks of 80s/90s kids, the trait of being “aggressively adaptable” is a close cousin.

At almost 50, I’m still performing, composing, and recording music. I go to the gym 4-6 days a week. I started a new career at 41, finished a doctorate at 48, and began my consulting work at 49. I get excited to go to work and learn new things and I have a hard time sleeping at night because so many ideas are bouncing around in my head. 50 doesn’t feel like a warning to “slow down.” 50 is not a speed limit or an off ramp. It’s simply a mile marker. In this drive across Death Valley, you’ve made it to mile 50, based on the choices you’ve made and a healthy dose of good fortune.

To me, this sign on the side of the road seems more like encouragement to “hit the gas” and remember to make the most of whatever miles lie ahead. A little momentum might get us a few more miles even when the tank is running dry.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Different Kind of Christmas Story

Everyone is familiar with the themes behind 1983’s “A Christmas Story.” Ralphie desperately longs for the toy of the year, in this case, a bb gun. Mom and dad are hesitant. Their concern for his safety and the hanging threat of “you’ll shoot your eye out” mask the bigger looming fear, namely the beginning of their son’s transition to adulthood. Eventually, the parents relent, providing one of the keys which help Ralphie open the door to making his own decisions (good and bad), experiencing both joy and success and heartbreak and pain, and coming into his fully-formed self.                (Photo credit Hollywood Reporter) The movie’s turning point, where Ralphie receives “ol Blue” as surprise final gift, actually played out in my own life. It was 1987; my friends and I had all hatched an idea in study hall to form a band. Scott played drums. Bob was practicing the hell out of an old acoustic guitar and Dan already had an electric to play lead. Jason could sing AND play keyboards.  All w

Keep saying “hi”; a case for saving human interaction across generations

  A few weeks back, my brother and I were shopping at an area Target. When I came out of an aisle, I almost collided with a trio of college-age people. “Woah, I’m sorry,” I said, realizing I should have looked before moving into the foot traffic. None of the young folks responded to me. I said “I’m sorry about that” as they continued to walk past, not one of them acknowledging the attempt at normal social interaction. I couldn’t decide if I was more irritated or offended. Like the rest of you, I’ve experienced similar interactions at stores, restaurants, and while walking my dog Willis at the local college campus. Attempts at polite social norms (i.e., saying “excuse me,” when walking past someone, thanking someone for holding a door, etc.) are often met with eye contact and no vocal response. While such instances are usually people far younger than me, I’ve noticed more of this behavior in older folks as well. I think this approach to communication (namely choosing NOT to vocall

Fleeting Light: Thoughts about "50" on the shortest day of the year

  I’ve been told that it’s common during one’s fiftieth year to do a recounting of the life you’ve lived so far. While the big 5-0 is past the halfway point for most of us, it’s a place to check momentum. How has the trip gone? Which turns have been the right ones (or wrong ones)? Is there enough gas in the tank to make it the rest of the way to the “final destination”…and in a way of our choosing? Momentum, at this point, seems to take the place of fuel. If anything, the challenge is to gear down to keep the car from flying down the hill. While not everything our elders told us is gospel, the old folks who say that life starts moving faster at the half-century mark have it right in my book.  Despite the pressures of time, much of this year has been a chance to stand on top of the hill (the one I’ve been told I’m on my way over) and look around. It’s been less about innovation and change than inventory; directly, what’s been done and what’s left to do? 50 is a rare sweet spot in life;